Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lazy, Sunny Day

Word of the day : fustian :  high-flown or affected writing or speech; anything high-flown or affected in style; a strong cotton and linen fabric



What's new this Thursday?  Hmmm.  Not much.  I think Gabriel might have fallen asleep for a change.  Julia'll be home in a few hours.  She'll probably wanna watch Top Chef, I'm guessing.  Daisy and myself will take a nice long walk at some point.  (Nix that on the Gabriel napping.  He's up and about...) I just started The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer.  I've never read Mailer before; so far, so good.  I just got on Facebook under my account for maybe the second time in a year and cleaned out "friends" I don't care about anymore, pretty much wiping out one-third of my companions. 

Hmmm... What else?  Julia and I re-watched The Joneses last night, a nifty, underappreciated little tragi-satire with David Duchovny and Demi Moore as the head of a family just moved to the wealthy suburbs.  For a while, assuming you don't know what the film is about, you might think it's some sort of unhappy-family-with-a-blemishless-facade sort of thing, but the movie has slyer, craftier tricks up its sleeve: This family is actually a team of stealth marketers out to promote their goods to their envious neighbors. 

The movie was shot in Atlanta, which, along with Pittsburgh, has become a hot spot for location shooting.  Check out the list of films that have been shot in Atlanta over the last few years, partly or fully:
- Joyful Noise, What to Expect When You're Expecting, Contagion, American Reunion, The Change-Up, Footloose, X-Men: First Class, Fast Five, For Colored Girls (along with pretty much every Tyler Perry movie), Hall Pass, Zombieland, The Crazies, Killers, Get Low, Life as We Know It, Due Date, The Blind Side.  

So it's just another drowsy day here in southeast Georgia.  Mid-50s, quiet.  It's always quiet here!  Fine with us, just strange!  I'm not sure how many of these neighbors I really wanna be too familiar with, truth be told.  The only young couple on the block are a bit too religious for Jules and I.

Here's an article for my wife: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The-Oldest-Modernist-Paintings.html 

Happy 173rd birthday, Paul Cezanne! 

No comments:

Post a Comment