Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Photographs!

Word of the day : livelong : whole, entire

Okay, I'm always up for something new.  Here goes:  I'm getting ridding of theme-painting week, for now, but I will continue to post a weekly painting or work of art - whatever suits my fancy - just no themes.  Instead, I want to mix it up a bit.  Starting this week, starting today, I will put up one photograph a day by a famous photographer.  I don't know too much about photography, or photographers, outside of those everyone knows (Ansel Adams, Avedon, Leibovitz, etc.).  I consulted a 2010 issue of Professional Photographer magazine, in which the writers and editors voted on the 100 most influential photographers of all time.  So, without delay, let's go right down the list. 

Richard Avedon (#1)

Arguably the most famous portrait and celebrity photographer in the history of this country.  He seemingly photographed almost every influential figure in the 20th century: Eisenhower, Marilyn Monroe, Buster Keaton, Frank Lloyd Wright, Picasso, Oppenheimer, Warhol, Cousteau, Bardot, O'Keeffe, even Barack Obama.  He used stark white backgrounds, often showing only a portion of the subject being photographed.  His well-lit photographs manage to be spontaneous and formal, minimalist, incredibly able to capture the subject's emotions and allure.  He worked for Harper's, Vogue, The New Yorker.




I'm digging the Douglas Kennedy novel I'm reading now.  Here's a nice link I found regarding the well-spoken, interesting author:

http://blog.booktopia.com.au/2011/04/06/douglas-kennedy-author-of-the-moment-answers-ten-terrifying-questions/

And yay! to Meryl Streep. 

I'll be back at my voluminous best tomorrow, I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment