Friday, April 6, 2012

Returned

I'm back!  Here's a rundown of the days in Cincy: 

- My dad is fine, recovering. 
- He had either a strep or staph infection that produced, months back, an encapsulated abscess (not a tumor!) that was full of pus that the doctors were able to bust open.
- It is unlikely that the infection spread anywhere else.
- He was released from the hospital two days after surgery.
- He will be at home for the next few weeks with a pick-line I.V. in his arm.

The best possible news, really!

(And I'm excited about seeing the fam two months from now in Hilton Head.) 

It's good to be back with Gabriel and Julia.  Gabriel initially seemed ambivalent about my re-appearance, greeting me with scarcely me more excitement and enthusiasm than he would the UPS man, but today he's getting back to normal.  The dog is happy to see me, ready to take walks around the ponds and golf course.  The cats are rock-steady, streamlined as ever.  First thing I did this morning?  Watch the episode of Mad Men I missed!

Tomorrow, we're heading into Savannah to do some Easter shopping and Five Guys-ing.  For Easter, Julia and I will drum up a fancy feast.  And Monday?  Well, Gabriel's Spring Break (pt. 2) will officially be over.   

Next Friday, we're going up to Augusta (where there's some sporting event going on at the moment, I think) for Gabriel's six-month check-in with his doctor.  Still to come in the next few months: trips again to Atlanta and Charleston - and to Orlando too.  Julia's mother is coming to visit in June, and we might see her brother David this summer too.   Out trip to New Orleans has been moved to an indeterminate date.    
 
Gabriel will be in school a substantial portion of the summer, and Julia will teach two summer classes.  I have a feeling it's going to be another brutally hot summer, replete with bugs, snakes, skinks, sand gnats, snapping turtles, alligators, and other assorted biting, flying things. 

Sunday, this blog will resume its normal format and intentions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment