Monday, February 11, 2013

Yawn

Monday morning.  The Grammys are over - do you care?  You know you're getting old and out of touch when you haven't even of the artist or song that won Record of the Year.  What is Gotye?  Featuring Kimbra.  Who's Kimbra? I guess I'll have to YouTube it. 

Gabriel is on spring break this week.  It'll be him and I by ourselves all week, a scenario that should allow for all sorts of hand-grabbing, swinging, snacking, Oso-viewing shenanigans.  The house needs to be cleaned, that's for sure.

Julia has a job interview again today.  Fingers crossed for her!   

Identity Thief ruled the box office this weekend, despite mediocre reviews.  Audiences love them some Melissa McCarthy!  Warm Bodies, doing well, was in #2, edging out Side Effects, Steven Soderbergh's final film.  Silver Linings Playbook, nearing the $100 million mark, was fourth, beating out the surprising success that is Hansel &Gretel: Witch Hunters

Argo won the BAFTA (the British version of the Oscar) for Best Film and Best Director.  I think it's going to win Best Picture on Feb. 24 too, on this side of the pond. 

I'll have to amend my earlier predictions of the L.A. Lakers in the NBA Finals in the June.  Exchange them for the OKC Thunder and downgrade the Lakers (who have too many problems to mention) out of the playoffs. 

Today I want to continue the book I started yesterday, the insanely addictive true-life crime story People Who Eat Darkness, writer Richard Lloyd Parry's chilling, sad, culturally informative account of the disappearance of English girl Lucie Blackman from Tokyo in 2000.  100 pages in, I'll agree with author Chris Cleave (Little Bee), who calls this the In Cold Blood of out times."

Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment