Monday, March 18, 2013

NCAA

Well, it's dancing time! 

*  The NCAA tourney field was selected yesterday and though it was weird to not see either Xavier or Kentucky (the latter especially) in the field, it seemed like an overall good crop.  Starting tomorrow, I'll make my daily picks for the games.  As of now, my Elite Eight looks like this: Louisville, Duke, Kansas, Georgetown, Syracuse, Miami, New Mexico, Gonzaga. 

*  Julia is on spring break this week.  She's staying home every single day! 

*  I joined Icheckmovies(.com) and have gone through the archives on an intensive quest to check every movie I've ever seen.  So far (and I think I'm about done) I'm at a little over 3,100!  Yikes! 

* Oz the Great and Powerful ruled the box office again this weekend.  Halle Berry's The Call performed nicely in second place, earning over $17 million.  The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, which doesn't look that good, underwhelmed in third place (considering its star power).  Jack the Giant Slayer, a candidate for the bomb of the year, was in fourth, followed by the incredibly-performing Identity Thief.

*  I wonder if the new AMC show Bates Motel, tracing Norman Bates' teen years, is going to be any good.  Freddie Highmore is well-cast as the young Bates, and I'm always up for watching Vera Farmiga; here she plays Norman's mom, who was looking a little boney when we last saw her. 


* Speaking of Farmiga, she makes an appearance in my list of the 500 Greatest Performances of All Time:




Vera Farmiga
as Irene in Down to the Bone (2004) 

Never heard of this one?  Me either until a couple of years ago, when I was scrounging my long-gone Netflix queue and found that Farmiga won some awards and garnered some major hype for this first film from Debra Granik, who gave us the similarly depressing Winter's Bone five years later - which kickstarted another actress' career, Jennifer Lawrence.  Here, playing an unhappy mother trying to raise her kids and carry on an affair all the while managing a debilitating drug habit, Farmiga is astonishing - lived-in and believable, sexy, sad, infuriating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment