Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tuesday...

Word of the day :  swivet : a state of extreme agitation

Just checking in with my readers.  Today is family update day.  
A nice two days in Charleston with Julia, Gabriel, and David.  Can't wait to get back to the city - and maybe visit one of the plantations and beaches.
Now David's here for two weeks and we're going to entertain him for a while.  Glad to have him!

Gabriel is doing well, progressing nicely in his speech therapy classes.  He starts school after he turns three on January 29.  Julia and I are going to get him some matchbox cars and a train set for Christmas.  Grandpa Ed is going to get him a trampoline.  Should be a blast.   

Julia is finishing up the semester at Georgia Southern.  We're going to enjoy the holidays.  Our anniversary will be spent in beautiful Beaufort, and we'll take David to Savannah a few times.  My parents will arrive on the 27th of this month for probably a few days.  

Random thoughts, Tuesday.
- I'm glad Fear Factor is back.  I used to be a fan of it, then I thought it was tiresome and same-y, and I wasn't at all sad that it went off the air in 2006.  Now I find it's re-appearance refreshing.
- The best movies I've seen this year are The Descendants, Sarah's Key, Midnight in Paris, and The Lincoln Lawyer.  I haven't seen as much as I usually do, but Julia am I keep pace via Redbox.  End-of-year releases that look delectable include the new Sherlock Holmes, War Horse, The Iron Lady, Carnage, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, We Bought a Zoo, The Adventures of Tintin.
- The best TV shows I've seen this year are the final season of Friday Night Lights and Showtime's Homeland.
- TNT's Mystery Movie series is proving to me a modest pleasure, and it's nice to watch actors not seen enough: Carla Gugino, Dermot Mulroney, Bill Pullman.






Today's bird?  I found the Georgia Rare Bird Alert website, a site that allows bird watchers, guides, rangers, etc. to call in and report sightings of hard-to-spot birds in the state.  I saw that a long-billed dowitcher was spotted in Canton, Georgia.  This is a medium-sized shorebird, a brownish gray bird with a scaly appearance.  This bird tends to live and breed in Siberia, Alaska, Washington and Canada in the summers, migrating to the western U.S. and eastern U.S. and wintering in Mexico.  It nests in deep depressions in the grass and moss, feasts in aquatic invertebrates and insects.  It can be seen along lake shores and small pools of saltwater.      




   

No comments:

Post a Comment