Monday, January 14, 2013

Go Falcons!

Monday Monday here in the south.  Julia starts her spring semester today, teaching, in addition to her usual courses, a new course she designed herself: Art and Crime. 

Gabriel was a in a fussy mood as he was hauled off to school this morning.  Perhaps it was because he was up til dawn studying, really pounding the books. 

Great weekend of sports action - exciting playoff games, good college games (no more undefeated...) and what can I say about the Golden Globes, really... yay for Girls and Homeland and Maggie Smith and Ben Affleck. 

I really like the HBO show Girls.  I'm glad Julia and I went ahead and bought it on word of mouth.  The only thing I don't like about is Hannah's boyfriend, an obnoxious, unappealing creation (played by Adam Driver).  



I will blog every day this week but my number 1 goal, really, before the end of the week is to try to get some sort of angel or lead or idea about a job - or a way to make some money somehow.  I think it would make me a lot happier.  Julia and I are dying to get out of this shit smear of a town, and Lord knows she's doing her part.   This town has long made me really restless.  Italy and the summer can't come fast enough!   



A performance today for list of the 500 Greatest Performances of All Time


Christoph Waltz
as Colonle Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds (2009) 

In honor of his Golden Globe win last night, it's perhaps fitting to recognize one of the great out-of-nowhere performances of all time.  Waltz had a ball here - a merry terror - as one of modern cinema's most chilling creations: a puckish, intelligent, deliberate, thinking man's Jew-hunting Nazi.  He won every critics award imaginable for the part.  He has only about four or five scenes, but they're long, mesmerizingly great ones; you can't take your eyes off him.     




No comments:

Post a Comment