Tuesday, January 1, 2013

HNY

HAPPY NEW YEAR, READERS!  


I've been out of commission as of late because we lost our internet connection here at the house, but now it's back and stronger than ever and I am determined to post every day this year... we'll see. 

Looking back over 2012, I see that I set an all-time reading record for me: I read 111 books!  (Obliterating my previous high of 77.) 

Here are my 20 favorite books of the year, with 5 honorable mentions. 
 
Top 20
(no order) 

- The Devotion of Suspect X, Keigo Higashino (2011)  
         The best mystery I read all year; too bad the second Higashino novel I read, Salvation of a Saint, was utterly pedestrian by comparison. 

- Any Human Heart, William Boyd (2002)

- The Talented Mr. Ripley, Patricia Highsmith (1955)

- The Way Home, George Pelecanos (2009)

- The Collected Stories of Richard Yates (2001)
         Yates just might be my favorite writer of all time.

- The Keeper of Lost Causes, Jussi Adler-Olsen (2011) 
          My second favorite mystery of the year and the cream of the Norwegian thriller crop I encountered.

- The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris, David McCullough (2011) 

- The Art of Fielding, Chad Harbach (2011)
          I couldn't believe there was no Pulitzer for Fiction awarded this year, because this ambitious debut novel was certainly worthy.

- Emily, Alone, Stewart O'Nan (2011)

- Wild Child, T.C. Boyle (2010)     
          Far and away the best short-story collection I've read in a while - well, other than Yates'.

- The Chill, Ross Macdonald (1963)
          A labyrinthine, twisty-as-hell, SoCal noir with a devastating final reveal. 

- In Cold Blood, Truman Capote (1965)

- Behind the Beautiful Forevers, Katherine Boo (2012)

- When the Killing's Done, T.C. Boyle (2011)

- The Casual Vacancy, J.K. Rowling (2012)
          Although it took me a while to get through, I guess I can say that I liked this profane, often scorching Our Town/Peyton Place updating a lot more than most people did.

- They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, Horace McCoy (1935)
          A lost classic.

- Pick-Up, Charles Willeford (1955)
           Again, a lost classic.

- Long Gone, Alafair Burke (2011)
            A lot of fun.

- Deep Water, Patricia Highsmith (1957)  

- (tie)  XO, Jeffery Deaver (2012) and Defending Jacob, William Landay (2012)


Honorable mention:

- Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant, Anne Tyler (1982)
- The Blunderer, Patricia Highsmith (1954)
- Down There, David Goodis (1956)
- Desperate Characters, Paula Fox (1970)
- Mr. Ives' Christmas, Oscar Hijuelos (1995)


Classics I Read This Year That Yes, Really Do Deserve to Be Classics:

- Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert
- Buddenbrooks, Thomas Mann
- Lord of the Flies, William Golding
- The Quiet American, Graham Greene                 
- The Naked and the Dead, Norman Mailer


Five Authors I'm Glad I "Discovered" This Year:  (a.k.a. great writers who have been around but whom I now just getting to!)

- William Boyd
- T.C. Boyle 
- Gillian Flynn
- Jussi Adler-Olsen
- George Pelecanos

Reading Goal For Next Year:

60 Books.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment